inquiry

relax... and read my meditation blog

Coding

Today we learned all about coding in the classroom. This was all very new to me as I had never actually coded (or used any coding programs) in the past. I was interested to learn that many of my colleagues had been using some of these programs since middle or even elementary school! We were presented with a list of many different resources to help students learn this skill in a really fun and interactive way.  Some include:

• Scratch (and Scratch jr.)
  • Codemonkey
  • Grasshopper
  • Glitch
  • Computer science unplugged

and more!

We were put into groups and set out to explore these functions on our own. I personally explored Scratch and found it to be very interesting as well as entertaining.

Above is a photo of something I created during this time. I learned to customize my character and background, and then add code together to allow her to navigate around the room, as well as ask a question and then “answer” your response. Given more time with this activity, I believe I could probably figure out how to do more but overall it was very fun and I’d give this program two thumbs up!! I am excited to try out these other resources when I have some free time and compare them to Scratch!